Christmas is just around the corner, with less than 2 weeks to go!!! December is truly one of the craziest months of the year. Everyone is out shopping for Christmas and New Years, which is making it an absolute nightmare to do anything at the moment.
This year Ben and I are hosting Christmas at our house. We are very excited to be doing so and a little nervous at the same time. I have received a lot of great feedback about my cooking skills (which I blame on my Greek heritage 😛 ) and it makes me confident about cooking (I love cooking) , however I am still a little nervous.
Nevertheless, will be doing the traditional English Christmas lunch and adding a hint of Greek to it. So I thought I’ll share with you a Cypriot Grain Salad recipe I will be using on Christmas day. This recipe is by George Calombaris, a well-known Australian chef and various restaurant owner.
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped
- 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup freekah (or cracked wheat or quinoa)
- 1/2 cup Puy lentils
- 2 tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 2 tbsp baby capers
- 1/2 cup currants
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 pomegranate, de-seeded, to serve
- 1 cup thick Greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 tbsp honey
- Blanch freekah and lentils separately in boiling water until both just cooked.
- Drain well and allow to cool.
- Mix the yoghurt, ground cumin and honey until combined.
- In a medium bowl, place the coriander, parsley, red onion, freekah, lentils, toasted nuts, capers, currants, lemon juice and olive oil. Mix well and season to taste.
- Place into serving dish and top with cumin yogurt and pomegranate seeds.