Made these cupcakes a few times now and they are absolutely delicious Simple to make yet spectacular and 5 star, these red velvet cup cakes with cream cheese icing are delicious and worth trying.
- 350g (2 1/3 cups) plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 315g (1 1/2 cups) caster sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- 185ml (3/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons red food colouring
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- Dollar Sweets Fairy Fives sprinkles, to decorate frosting
- 250g pkt cream cheese, at room temperature
- 100g butter, at room temperature
- 195g (1 1/4 cups) pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line eighteen 80ml (1/3-cup) capacity muffin pans with paper cases. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar.
2. Whisk the buttermilk, oil, eggs, food colouring and vinegar in a jug until combined. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture. Add the buttermilk mixture and stir until just combined.
3. Divide the mixture among the prepared pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. To make the cream cheese frosting, use an electric beater to beat the cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and vanilla in a bowl until smooth.
5. Pipe the icing over the cupcakes and top with the sprinkles.